Foire aux questions - Assistants de langue en France

We advise you to start looking as soon as you receive your certificate of appointment. Ask your school about any on-site housing options. It’s advisable to look for accommodation near your school and to research the transportation links.  Look at the classified adverts in the local press or on the internet. You could look at websites such as:

  • You must send your "demande d'attestation OFII" form by registered post to the OFII. All information concerning this procedure is in the Guide de l'assistant which you will receive during the academic course and which is also available on our website.
  • You will also need to carry out social security registration. You will need to complete some paperwork which will be given to you by the school intendant (bursar).
  • It is also indispensable to open a postal or bank account, without which you will not be able to receive your salary or sign a tenancy agreement.

You should receive your certificate of appointment (arrêté de nomination) confirming your appointment by the end of July. If it does not arrive by this time, you should contact the programme officer in your country. But don't worry - you have not been forgotten! 

It is your responsibility to write, in French, to the head of the school. This is your opportunity to introduce yourself and to ask questions about the pupils and teachers of your language and possibilities for accommodation. Please be aware that schools are closed during July and August.

On your certificate of appointment (arrêté de nomination) you should find the following information after the phrase « pour y exercer à titre principal à »  :

  • The name of the main primary school where you will be working


  • The acronym DSDEN (Direction des services départementaux de l’éducation nationale). This means that the name of your primary school will be confirmed either before or during the induction day. Before receiving this information, don’t hesitate to send any questions you may have to the « personne-contact », whose contact details should have been sent along with your certificate of appointment.

Firstly, you must open a postal or bank account. You should then present yourself to the school administration with either a relevé d'identité bancaire (RIB) or a relevé d'identité postale (RIP) (both are pieces of paper containing your personal account details and will be provided by the bank or post office when you open the account), as well as confirmation of your assignment and the paperwork pertaining to your moving in. If you request your salary from the school administration by 10 October, you will receive an advance payment at the end of October. From November you will be paid regularly on the same date.

Your colleagues and language teachers at the school are there to help you with your work as an assistant. A "personne-relais" is also present in your académie for questions of a practical nature. This person will be introduced to you during the induction course. Lastly, you can contact the academic leader of the programme or the assistant team at CIEP.