Frequently Asked Questions - TCF DAP
Yes, you must take the TCF for DAP. However, there are exemptions (see question 9). We urge you to click on all the questions that are available on this web page, so that you are better informed.
You do not have to take the TCF for DAP, but you have to take the TCF. If you do not actually hold the DELF B2 ("General public" or "Junior/academic" or "Professional" version), DALF C1 or DALF C2, we highly recommend that you contact the French establishment to which you wish to apply as quickly as possible.
French higher education establishments may request an official certification of your level of proficiency in French, whether or not you reside in the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway.
Please note: in this case, you must apply for the TCF compulsory examinations (listening, language structures and reading). A number of higher education establishments also require that you take the optional TCF writing examination and possibly the speaking examination.
You should therefore check with the institution to which you have applied (or wish to apply to), to find out which examinations are required.
TCF sessions are organised each month in more than 700 test centres worldwide. The locations of test centres are listed on this page.
It is important that you contact the test centre of your choice, to find out the dates of sessions, fees and ways to register.
If you wish to take the TCF at a session organised by the CIEP-Sorbonne centre: www.ccfs-sorbonne.fr/-Centre-d-examen-TCF,156-.html
>> If you reside abroad, we recommend that you contact the French Embassy's department for Cooperation and Cultural Action, the CampusFrance website or your nearest approved TCF test centre
>> If you reside in France, you must connect to the internet (deadline : 22 January 2018). It provides all the necessary information, instructions and application forms for you to complete and submit.
You have two options for you payment of €69 :
- on line (you must provide a payment card VISA or MASTERCARD). At the end of your transaction, you could print your registration confirmation,
- or by sending to the CIEP (CIEP- TCF- DAP inscription - 1 avenue Léon-Journault - 92318 Sèvres cedex) by cheque or postal order (cash payments are not accepted) made payable to the "Agent comptable du CIEP". Your cheque or postal order must be accompanied by the application form with the name of the candidate.
The registration deadline is 22 January 2018.
You must sent your green or yellow form and take the TCF DAP in the same establishment.
The TCF is the official test of the French Ministry for Education, Higher Education and Research and Ministry for Culture and Communication.
Only universities, schools of architecture, French embassies and the CIEP (Centre international d'études pédagogiques) are authorised to organise TCF for DAP sessions.
The TCF for DAP sessions for application for licence 1 or school of architecture for the 2018 academic year are open from October 2017 and will be closed on 23 February 2018 for sessions in France and 12 February 2018 for sessions organised abroad.
Note: the dates for TCF for DAP sessions vary according to country. Some countries only organise one TCF for DAP session (generally in January or February), and others organise several (Algeria, Lebanon, Morocco, Tunisia, Vietnam, etc.).
You are responsible for making enquiries, as soon as possible, to find out the dates of sessions organised in your country.
Note: If you make enquiries or apply too late, it will not be possible to take the TCF for DAP.
If you reside abroad, you must contact the departments of Cooperation and Cultural Action at the French embassy in your country. These departments will provide you with information on:
- the dates for TCF for DAP sessions in your country
- the TCF for DAP fees.
Once registered, you will take your TCF for DAP in an establishment (Institut français, Alliance française, Centre culturel français, university, etc.) that will be assigned to you by the French embassy.
If you are in France, you will take your TCF for DAP directly at the university or school of architecture to which you submitted your application. These establishments will organise the TCF for DAP sessions between 8 and 23 February only. After this date, you will no longer be able to take the TCF for DAP for the 2018-2019 academic year. You are responsible for directly contacting (before 22 January 2017) the departments of the university or school of architecture that will provide you with a pedagogical registration form.
There is no limit to the number of times you can apply for the TCF for DAP. However, you must wait 30 days between the two sessions (TCF and/or TCF DAP and/or TCF Quebec and/or TCF ANF) to which you have applied.
Applying to different test centres during this 30 days interval is strictly prohibited. Our departments reserve the right to cancel your registration if this rule is not observed.
Normally, you must take the TCF for DAP at the centre you were assigned (by the French embassy if you are abroad; by a university or school of architecture if you are in France). The only possible exceptions are cases of force majeure such as illness, transport strikes or family emergency. Evidence must be provided if you were unable to take the TCF for DAP at your university or school of architecture for any of these reasons.
>> If you are abroad, there may not be another session organised for your country. In this case, you will no longer be able to take the TCF for DAP for the 2018-2019 academic year.
>> If you reside in France, you can attend a replacement TCF for DAP session organised in Paris by the CIEP, on 3 March 2018 (two sessions in the same day), at:
CIEP (Centre international d’études pédagogiques)
1, avenue Léon Journault – 92318 Sèvres
You must first download the registration form.
Then, after having correctly filled out this form, you MUST send it with the following documents:
- your payment of €69 by cheque or postal order, made payable to the "Agent Comptable du CIEP" evidence attesting that you were unable to attend a TCF DAP session organised by your university or school of architecture (medical certificate etc.)
- a stamped and self-addressed envelope.
Deadline for completed applications: 26 February 2018 (date as per postmark).
Address to send it to: CIEP - TCF DAP Inscriptions Sessions spéciales
1 avenue Léon Journault 92318 Sèvres cedex
- the CIEP may not be able to accommodate your choice of session (morning or afternoon). This will depend on available seats. The CIEP will send you a notification indicating the time of the test;
- if you live outside of Paris, then your journey to the city will be at your own expense: under no circumstances will these expenses be covered by the Ministry or CIEP;
- these sessions on 3 March 2018 offered by the CIEP should in no way be considered as catch-up sessions (i.e. sessions organised because you have not achieved the result corresponding to the level required for you to apply to the university), but as replacement sessions for candidates who were not able to attend the test due to force majeure.
It is imperative that you respect the deadlines for those documents necessary to your TCF for DAP registration. If it is received late, the CIEP will not offer you a date for a replacement session. However, if there are valid and justified reasons (postal service strikes, administrative problems, etc.), and the CIEP should receive your registration form late, it will then offer you a place in a replacement session organised in Paris on 3 March 2018 (and only this day). To register for a replacement session, a registration form will be provided online on 12 February 2018 (see question 7). The CIEP will send you a notification indicating the time of the session. Your journey to Paris will be at your own expense: under no circumstances will these expenses be covered by the Ministry or CIEP.
There are several possibilities. You are exempt from the TCF for DAP if:
- you hold a DELF B2 (Diplôme d'études en langue française (Diploma in French Studies), "General public" or "Junior/academic" or "professional" version) or a DALF C1 or C2 (Diplôme approfondi de langue française [Diploma in Advanced French]), a French baccalaureate (from the French Ministry for Education), or are a student from the French bilingual departments featured on a list established jointly by the French Ministry for National Education and Foreign Affairs;
- you are a citizen of an official francophone country: Benin, Burkina Faso, Congo, Ivory Coast, Gabon, Guinea-Conakry, Mali, Niger, Democratic Republic of Congo, Senegal, Togo;
- you are a citizen of a European Union member country, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway: you can apply directly to a university of your choice, which will then make a judgement on whether or not you should still take a linguistic verification examination;
- you have passed the test d'évaluation du français (TEF) (French Evaluation Test) organised by the Chamber of Commerce and Industry for Paris, and you have achieved at least 14/20 in the writing examination.
Note: Algeria, Morocco, Lebanon and Tunisia recognise Arabic as their official language. French is a special status language. Candidates from these four countries must therefore also take the TCF for DAP.
Note: to be considered exempt from the TCF for DAP, citizens from multilingual countries where French is the official language (Burundi, Cameroon, Canada, Central African Republic, Comoros, Djibouti, Haiti, Madagascar, Seychelles, Switzerland, Chad, Vanuatu) must have completed all of their secondary education in a French language establishment.
The TCF for DAP lasts a total of 2 hours 25 minutes.
One part is comprised of:
- an listening examination: 29 questions
- a proficiency in language structures examination (grammar and lexicon): 18 questions
- a reading examination: 29 questions
The three examinations last: 1 hour 25 minutes
and the other part, of
- a writing test (composed of 3 tasks: write a message in a minimum of 60 words + write an article to give an account of an experience or a narrative in a minimum of 120 words + write a text comparing 2 points of view in a minimum of 120 words).
The writing examination lasts: 1 hour.
Word counting rule: is considered to be any set of symbols separated by spaces: "a good topic" = 3 words; "That is to say" = 1 word; "I have not seen him since the day before yesterday" = 7 words.
Important notice! Your writing test will not be corrected if:
- - your handwriting is illegible,
- - you do not write the minimum required for one of the tasks,
- - one of your text is off topic.
Neither will it be marked if it is found to be fraudulent.
You must bring a blue or black pen and a form of official identity that has a recent photograph of you (passport or resident card).
Access to the examination room will be refused to anyone who is not in possession of an official proof of identity (passport or resident card).
Fraud in the examinations is an offence of a disciplinary nature governed by the decree of 13 July 1992, modified by the decree of 13 July 1995:
- If fraud is found by an invigilator during a TCF for DAP session, an official report will be drawn up, and this will result in the cancellation of your session; disciplinary measures, applied by the test centre and/or by the CIEP, will be taken;
- In the event of falsification of a TCF for DAP certification, the CIEP will cancel the certification in question, and disciplinary measures, applied by the test centre and/or by the CIEP, will be taken.
Note: the visa departments of French consulates have the results obtained by candidates for the TCF for DAP and TCF. The results featured on the certifications provided by study visa applicants are always verified.
Listening, proficiency in language structures and writing examinations: four training books are currently on the market:
- The official guide to the TCF, with practice exercises - published by Éditions Didier.
- collection - 250 activities - TCF - CLE International.
- Test de connaissance du français - published by Belin.
- Réussir le TCF - published by éditions de l’École Polytechnique.
- ABC TCF, published by CLE International
You will find information on other training tools.
You can see a sample topic (provided as guidance: it will not be asked during a real session): topic [pdf 925 Ko]