You will be assigned to one of the following school types according to the preferences you indicated in your application and the requirements of educational authorities:
Age of pupils
|École élémentaire (primary school)||
6 to 10 years
|Collège (lower secondary school)||
11 to 15 years
|Lycée (upper secondary school)||
15 to 18 years
There are 3 types of contract:
- in secondary schools (collège / lycée): 7 month contract, from 1st October to 30 April (all languages);
- in primary schools (école élémentaire): 7 month contract, from 1st October to 30 April (languages taught: German, English, Spanish, Italian, Dutch, Portuguese, Russian);
- Please be aware that only German language assistants will be offered contracts lasting 6 months (1st October - 31 March)
You will work for 12 hours per week. These hours may be worked solely in one school or in up to a maximum of 3 schools.
You will have the same holidays as your pupils and French colleagues, i.e.: a week around the Toussaint public holiday (1st November), two weeks at Christmas, two weeks in winter and two weeks in spring (see academic calendars for school holidays).
- The school week starts on Monday morning and finishes at midday on Friday evening or on Saturday. Pupils have between 24 and 30 hours of lessons per week.
- Normally, each lesson lasts 55 minutes in collège and lycée and 45 minutes in école élémentaire.
- Each day begins at between 8 a.m. and 8.30 a.m. and ends at 3.30 or 4.30 p.m. in école élémentaire and 5.30 p.m. in collège and lycée.
€970.67 gross before deduction of various obligatory contributions (social security, etc.), resulting in approximately €790 net.