As an assistant, you are employed as a temporary agent of the state (agent non-titulaire de l’État).
You can be appointed to work in:
- primary schools only (premier degré);
- secondary schools only (second degré), either in middle schools (collège) or high schools (lycée) ;
- both primary schools and middle schools.
You will work in 1 to 3 schools. However, if involved in a specific project, you may occasionally be asked to work in more than three schools.
The length of the contract is 7 months (6 months for German language assistants).
You will work 12 hours per week.
You will have the same holidays as your pupils and French colleagues, i.e.: two weeks around the Toussaint public holiday (1st November), two weeks at Christmas, two weeks in winter and two weeks in spring (see academic calendars for school holidays).
- The school week starts on Monday morning and finishes on Friday evening or at midday on Saturday. Pupils have between 24 and 30 hours of lessons per week.
- Each day usually begins between 8 am and 8.30 am and ends at around 3.30 pm or 4.30 pm in école primaire and 5.30 p.m. in collège and lycée.
The assistants’ monthly allowance was fixed on 2 March 2017 at €976.49 gross, before deduction of various obligatory contributions (social security, etc.), resulting in approximately €770 - €785 net (the amount can vary). The gross monthly allowance is periodically revised and published in le « Bulletin Officiel de l’éducation nationale ».